trios can work just fine, given enough space and food, but usually works
better with males
we had 4 males in a 20H who were very bonded and never fought
when we have a breeder who loses a mate, we try to set them up with 2 little
ones of the same sex so when the older one passes on, the remaining two
still have each other
with your current setup you will have to be very watchful of introducing
another pup, especially since the two bonded ones are pretty old (to us
pretty old being 4mos and older, it becomes more and more difficult to
smoothly change their lifestyles after 3-4mos or so in our experience)
you could try a 3-way split so everyone can smell/see each other but not
touch each other (this means splitting up the first two to make their bond
more flexible in accepting another)
the new gerbie should definitely be young! 5-8wks

we would say that the pair you have being only 4mos apart is not that far
apart that you should be too concerned
maybe you should simply consider adopting 2 new pups when the time comes
that one of your current pair passes on
attempting a new bond arrangement now may be more traumatic for all of those
involved (the original pair and the new pup) vs. one traumatic event for one
gerbie (only one of the original pair grieving)

--
ron & traci
things-that-squeak