Tony wrote:

> I don't know if you know this, but it's _very_ easy
> to tell male and females
> apart, especially in adults.  The Anal area on a
> male is much further away
> from the little dimple than on the females.

She does now, since the couple turned out to have
pups.

> You should never really touch the pups this early.
> You risk having the
> female, (or the male) kill the pups as they'll have
> your scent on them...
> you were probably lucky.

I don't know who told you that Tony, but that is
absolutely untrue of gerbils. Hamsters are prone to
destroying handled pinkies I've heard, but gerbils
rarely do this. If you have had such an experience it
was one of the rare exceptions.

> What sort of bedding are you using?  Make
> *absolutely* sure it is NOT Cedar.
> Although it is disputed I am positive that the odour
> from the Cedar can
> kill.  Especially in the young.  Not having much
> experience with breeding I
> can't give anything more specific... but I'm sure
> other people on the list
> can.
>
> Tony Pottrell
Below is what you somehow missed reading in her