Hi Jess,

I would remove the wheel.  The older pups will be
fine, but it could injure the new pups (if mom takes
them for a spin) or distract the parents from
nursing/parenting.  If you wait until after the pups
are born to remove the wheel the parents might spend
hours search for and fretting over its disappearance.

Consider an exercise/play tank with a wheel.  Though
it should not have litter (or just a bit that you
change between uses) in it as the smell of stale
litter can represent an "unfamiliar gerbil" smell that
can cause fighting to occur.

Donna
ABC Gerbils