Also running Ubuntu.

Okay, I happen to have a Ubuntu virtual machine installed on the same windows box that I'm having the download troubles with. So I've just fired it up and installed the get_iplayer script and rtmpdump 2.3-2 from the Ubuntu Software Center

Surprisingly (to me anyway) it's working fine, it's downloaded 46% of my randomly selected Arena download (why did I pick an hour long program to test with!).

So it's obviously nothing to do with my IP address or internet connection as the working VM is using the same connection as the host PC which is failing. So this points to it being a problem with the Windows version of rtmpdump 2.3?