On 04/05/2011 10:00 AM, Jon Davies wrote:

Apart from just one condition (personal use terms, 3.2.2) which
restates some of the requirements for having a TV licence, there's
nothing I can see in the terms which draws a distinction between 'on
air' and 'on demand' access.  So, I conclude, that no, the BBC does
not make any significant distinction of that sort.

It's not in the BBCs terms, it's in the law around TV licensing.
Specifically (if it's not changed in the last 4 or so years),
you need a TV license _only_ to watch the broadcast output of television broadcaster licenced under the television broadcasters regulation rules.

You _do_not_ need a license to watch any other content. Foreign TV
you can pick up with a really big antenna, or content a licenced broadcaster provides in non-realtime ways.