On 27/06/2013 01:08, Jeremy Nicoll - ml get_iplayer wrote:
emme...@btopenworld.com wrote:

So I uninstalled Quicktime and rebooted.  New get_iplayer started working
fine.

That strongly implies that there was a copy of rtmpdump somewhere inside the
Quicktime program folder, and that that copy was older than the one GiP is
using.

That's not the case AFAICT. I couldn't see anything RTMP-related, anyway. Given rtmpdump's status and history, I rather doubt it would be incorporated into QT Player. Besides, the OP tested for another rtmpdump in PATH, but none came up.

I re-installed Quicktime and all still ok.

This makes me think that the Quicktime installer modifies PATH by adding the
Quicktime program folder onto the end of the existing set of folders.  Did
you keep note of what the PATH definition was before you uninstalled
Quicktime, and do you see now that the folder order has changed?

I think you're on the right track here. Without being able to see it, I don't know how QT or some other installer could have messed up the PATH environment environment variable, but it does set/unset that variable on install and uninstall, so there is scope for something to go wrong.

The bottom line is that if PATH doesn't contain %SystemRoot\system32, or is malformed so that directory is effectively missing, then rtmpdump won't run, leading to the get_iplayer errors.