> I'll add the --versions=open to my default command string unless someone
> points out a drawback when the file fetch doesn't need it.

Don't use --versions=open as a default command as a lot of programmes won't
have an open version to fetch so the download will fail. If you do have this
problem again, the best thing to do is run --info on the programme and that
will then tell you what is available. You can then tell gip what to download.
There are a number of possible versions you might find available like original,
open, iPlayer,  shortened, lengthened, and there's more so it's impossible to
guess what will be available when a programme fails. Gip usually takes the
longest version it finds available to use as the default download option and it
normally does this automatically without any extra commands.