On Wed Aug 3 21:52:46 BST 2016, Alan Milewczyk wrote:
but one thing puzzles me. For some time now, HLS has been my preferred method of fetching the programmes. I never got these error messages with v2.94
so is v2.95 reporting errors differently to previous versions?

Hello friend, I do hope your oral health has been restored and no more pain-relievers are needed...

I can't be verbose right now, but: 1. The error messages people get currently when fetching hlshd tvmode of some PIDs with 2.95 appears to be a beeb's glitch and I discussed some alternatives in another thread post. 2. In GiP 2.94, AppleHLS streams were dumped via FFmpeg; when something went awry, most of the messages (errors/warnings) were generated by ffmpeg itself. In GiP 2.95, as explained many times, the recording is realised by default via a native ("built-in" the coder calls it) perl HLS downloader. Various HLS messages are now printed from that built-in downloader, so yes, "v2.95 IS reporting errors differently to previous versions." (For more, have a look at the code inside: https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/commit/e2adee8 )

Have a fine summer day, Vangelis.