On Fri Sep 2 23:09:20 BST 2016, chris chery wrote:
how do i change the ouput recordings file in2 ..96
(snip) windows

(probably meaning: How do I change the default output directory of GiP 2.96 on Windows? )

The output directory of the Windows flavour of GiP 2.95+ has been set by default to

"$DESKTOP\iPlayer Recordings", see:
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/commit/3931d9c

(on Vista+ this looks like:
"C:\Users\<your-user-account-name>\Desktop\iPlayer Recordings" )

Latest versions of the windows installer don't let you specify a custom output directory during install (... never really understood why that useful feature was removed, but obviously the maintainer knows better...)

If you had set a different output directory in earlier (2.94-) versions of GiP prior to upgrading to 2.95+, then a recent wiki entry might be relevant:
The installer will attempt to preserve any custom output directory configured by a previous installer, but this may not always be possible. Be sure to check any custom output directory after installation with get_iplayer --show-options and re-configure if necessary.

Post install you may set a custom output directory via the CLI - see "Output Options" in --longhelp. Mainly you'd be interested in --output <dir>
--outputtv <dir>
--outputradio <dir>

<dir> is the path to your custom output directory; if the path contains whitespace, it must be enclosed in double quotes; omit final backward (forward) slash; additionally, this custom directory must be a folder on which your user account has read/write permissions...
I have a second "D" partition on my internal HDD, I had set

get_iplayer --output="D:\Vangelis\iPlayer Recordings" --prefs-add and thus my options file contains line:
output D:\Vangelis\iPlayer Recordings

while "get_iplayer --show-options" prints, among other, Options from Files: output = D:\Vangelis\iPlayer Recordings

i ve tried a number of instructions none worked

What were exactly those and what were the errors generated (if any) when those failed? You give us very little info to help you with... The following isn't meant for you only, but for anyone seeking help here (article authored by SquarePenguin (and dinky), hosted in the support forum): "How to request support for get_iplayer" https://squarepenguin.co.uk/forums/thread-706.html

Best regards