On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 04:40:53PM +0000, d.l...@surrey.ac.uk wrote:
>I am sort-of trying to protect the port, but given that I access my server
>from a whole heap of locations and I can't say in advance what those source
>IPs will be, it will make it all rather cumbersome.

ssh tunnel. Bind the "CGI" to localhost so that nothing can reach it
directly, then connect from outside with:

ssh -L 1234:localhost:1234 username@your_external_dns_name

and point your client at localhost:1234 on the box where you're
running the ssh process.

(If you're stuck with a non-command-line ssh, check its documentation
for local port forwarding.)

(Note - please check your email client settings and do not reply to me
directly. I sent this to the mailing list because I want conversation
to happen on the mailing list.)