On 26/08/18 15:51, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
Hi Clive,

Are you sure?  With a single `-'?
This old get_iplayer, I haven't upgraded yet, has --pid-recursive.
Perhaps that does what you're thinking of;  I've never used it.
you are correct, there should have been two hyphens in old GiP
however, in this version, using one or two hyphens on the url tells
me: "Unknown option: recursive" and a search of the help page fails to
find the word 'recursive'.
I've downloaded 3.17 now.

     $ ./get_iplayer --long-help |& grep recursive
      --pid-recursive       Record all related episodes if value of --pid
                            is a series or brand PID.  Requires --pid.
      --pid-recursive-list  If value of --pid is a series or brand PID,
                            list available episodes but do not download.
                            Implies --pid-recursive. Requires --pid.
     $

I appear to have followed the syntax in the help screen
      --pid <pid>,<pid>,...

Don't add spaces after the comma?  It makes them separate words.
First of all, removing the space between the individual pids has
worked.  This is odd because in the past, when I use the five digit
number to download multiple programs I just leave a space between
them, eg:

get_iplayer 12345 12346 12347 12348 12349 -g
Those `five digit number' are indexes, not PIDs.  The --pid option does
not change the meaning of arguments from indexes to PIDs;  it takes a
single argument that is a comma-separated list of PIDs.

My experience is that if I enter the index numbers with each of five digits separated by a space then it works, always. Try it on something short like Tweet of the Day:

get_iplayer 46150 46151 46152 -g

I get three Tweets.

-recursive: I had relied on the help page displayed when a command goes wrong and I guess that is the short help, and it does not cover -recursive. As you say, it is in the long help. It is a case of "it has always worked" so there was surprise when it did not this time.

Thank you for your helpfulness in putting me on the right tracks.

Kind regards

Clive