On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 at 15:05, Budge <aje...@errichel.co.uk> wrote:

> On 27/08/18 10:38, Colin Law wrote:
> > On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 at 10:35, Budge <aje...@errichel.co.uk> wrote:
> >>
> >> Forgive my ignorance but I am stuck with a picture size problem with old
> >> editions of Inspector Morse videos.  These have been saved as .mp4
> >> videos and are generally 4x3 format.
> >>
> >> Given that my screen is a wide format screen I can accept that there
> >> will be black margins each side of the screen but the picture does not
> >> appear to be 4x3 but closer to square and if anything appears taller in
> >> proportion ie slightly distorted.
> >
> > If you play them on the PC (maybe you are doing that anyway) in a
> > window rather than full screen do they look right?
> >
> > Colin
> >

> >> I have played with most of the controls I can find to no avail and seek
> >> help getting back to basics to find out if I am doing something wrong.
> >> Any suggestions please.
> >> Budge

> Hi Colin,
> Actually playing on HDMI2 input of TV with Vero 4K player running Rpi
> type of device.  Tried other devices like Firestick and using NAS device
> but always comes out very similar and approx square not even 4x3.
> Still trying.

Are you able to play it on a PC with something like VLC? In a non-full
screen window so it should show the aspect ratio.  Also you can look
at the video properties on the PC and see the resolution details.
Unless you can do that it is difficult to know whether it is the
display setup or the file.

Colin