In article <277a5cfb-07d2-6b24-aabe-21f1ed76d...@errichel.co.uk>, Budge
<aje...@errichel.co.uk> wrote:
> This is an OT but I hope Jim Web or others with knowledge can give me
> some guidance in sorting out a noise issue:

> I am having some problems with very unpleasant and loud clicks when
> playing sound through Bluetooth headphones.

I can't really advise on any problems that may be bluetooth-specific. I've
stayed resolutely with wired ethernet and wired audio. So I know the
principles involved with bluetooth, but haven't investigated beyond
deciding to avoid it!

[snip]

> I am trying to diagnose the source and cause of the clicking problem
> which is painful and renders the whole setup unusable.  This problem
> only recently appeared after I had relocated all the equipment but I
> have checked the basics and found nothing wrong.  The clicks are only
> heard in headphones using bluetooth transmitter.

> One thought was that cause might be an overload condition such as
> clipping and but I cannot associate the problem with loud passages.

Given that bluetooth will be using digital formats I doubt the signal level
matters a lot unless it employs a lossy encoding that allows the bitrate to
vary significantly with sound level. (Someone else may be able to comment
on that.) Hence I'd not have expected your symptoms to be level dependent.

>  It
> has occurred to me, however, that there should be an optimum
> configuration for volume adjustment because, even with the Line Out
> being "fixed," there are several volume controls; in the BubbleDS app,
> in the Avantree Bluetooth transmitter and in the Sony headphones.  I
> assume not but do not know if any of these devices have any gain
> capability or just have passive control.   Unfortunately control
> information is sadly lacking other than on the BubbleDS control point:
> no knob with a dial and figures, just an up/down button or worse a touch
> control with no indicator at all (on the headphones) and it is
> impossible to optimise signal to noise ratios.

The lack of reliable info on points like the above which imply added
'fiddle with the data' stages, and your comments about the clicks make me
feel you may simply be getting problems due to interference, breaks in
transmission, lack of reliable bandwidth, etc. i.e. Bluetooth devices which
are trying to squeeze a quart into a pint pot, and sometimes failing. But I
am just making a general guess here. I think there are some newer codings
that may help, but... Perhaps someone else who knows more about bluetooth
audio can fill in the gaps.

You have confirmed my preference fo ye olde bits if wire, though. When I
want to move about and use headphones, I employ a DAP! Wired from player to
phones. Only problem is to occasionally need a recharge. A couple of large
capacity but tiny 'mini' SD cards holds a *lot* of audio even when high
rez.

Sorry I can't be more help with this.

Jim

--