In article <22822d75-3c45-4482-9cdc-da91b2f12...@cantab.net>, Owen
Smith
<owen.sm...@cantab.net> wrote:
> I tried the forums some years back. I found dinky's rules and
> application of them so strict that I felt it wasn't a place anyone could
> contribute anything. It was just a place for reporting get_iplayer bugs
> or BBC changes, and anything else got deleted.

FWIW The two fora (?) I use provide more than one actual 'forum' list. One
can then be 'off topic'. (One list calles this the 'Aldershot' forum for
some arcane reason. :-) )

So on-topic disussions can proceed without being bothered by off-topic
material.

The moderators deal with spamming and bad behaviour. Which isn't, so far as
I know, much different to what happens with well run email lists.

Both use a very plain approach to make the pages easy to access with
'light' browsers, js off, etc. Avoids a common problem of eye-glaring
layout with the text scattered thinly amongst a lot of irritating needless
eye-candy.

Still not as good as an email list IMHO, but it works for those who want a
web forum.

Jim

--
Electronics  https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm