I have pushed some changes to the "branch cleanup-mesh-import":

https://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/getfem.git/log/?h=cleanup-mesh-import

which change the default behavior. With these changes, the command

m = gf.Mesh("import", "gmsh", "my_mesh_file.msh")

should preserve overlapping nodes, while

m = gf.Mesh("import", "gmsh:merge_overlapping_nodes", "my_mesh_file.msh")

should reproduce the old behavior.

Do you have the possibility to test this?

Best regards
Kostas