Emmanuel Marty wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I know I don't give much news :)
>
> I don't know if you've ever heard of Arachne; it's a very lightweight web browser
> (ie, that can be fully functional within 1-2 megs of memory); it used to be for DOS,
> but I've assisted its author in doing a port to modern, 32-bit, multitasking OS'es,
> including Linux.

This rocks beyond belief.  Here in Milwaukee, I build and donate
low end web surfing systems for people who can't afford to buy a
computer (mainly starving students and artists).  For people who
mainly want access to email and some simple web browsing, this
really lowers the bar.  I've been looking for a way to build a
linux web surfing system that removes X from the picture, and it
looks like this could do the trick nicely.

It looks like Arachne has really grown up from the DOS only
version I played with several years ago.  Now if only it supported
Javascript... if it were open source, I would take a shot at
adding it myself.  Oh well.

Thad