On Jan 7, 2014, at 4:11 AM, Jan Stolarek <jan.stola...@p.lodz.pl> wrote:
>> GHC crashes on valid input. Which is a bug.
> As Ben pointed out it is conceivable that compiler will not be able handle a
> correct program.

Personally, I find this view extremely disappointing. If my SHA library failed
to work on a valid input, I would consider that a bug. Why is GHC special? Keep
in mind that I’m not saying that this bug needs to be highest priority and
fixed immediately, but instead I’m merely arguing that it should be
acknowledged as a bug.

> But as a user I would expect GHC to detect such situations (if possible) and
> display an error
> message, not crash with a panic (which clearly says this is a bug and should
> be reported).

Personally, I’d find this an acceptable, if a bit disappointing, solution.
Essentially you’re redefining "valid input." It just seems a shame to be doing
so because of an implementation weakness rather than an actual, fundamental
problem.

- Adam