Dear Devs,

On 04/10/2014 09:09 AM, ghc-devs-requ...@haskell.org wrote:
> Filed the reproducer as a new ticket:
>     https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/8980
>
> [ Looks like highlighting-kate asks to be added to
>   compiler performance benchmarks (are there such ones?)
>   It tends to stress ghc all the time:
>     http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/3664
> ]
Please consider adding hPDB too, if you want to stress the optimizer.
It shows GHC optimizer at its best, with at least 10-20% improvement in
every major version of
the compiler since 6.12. Unfortunately at cost of very long compile times.
Please let me know if I should submit a driver code for automatic
benchmarks it (it is in hPDB-examples.) Thanks!
>> > SpecConstr is too aggressive: it sometimes blows up the program badly and
>> > we have no good
solution.  See Trac #7898, #7068, #7944, #5550, #8836.
And #8960, where GHC runs out of memory. (Only in 7.8.) Should be easy
to reproduce by just `cabal install hPDB`.
>> > I notice that the latter three are actually fixed in 7.8, so worth trying
>> > that.  If it
still fails, do add instructions to reproduce to one of the above open
tickets, or make a new one.

>> > Meanwhile you can use -fno-spec-constr to simply switch it off for
offending modules.  That should get you going.
--
  Best regards
    Michal