On 30/04/2014 01:35, George Colpitts wrote:
It doesn't have anything about the dynamic linking changes made for 7.8.
I think it's worth mentioning the improvements we expect to get from
that. The highlights of the release notes do mention it, so maybe that
suffices.

In particular, I'm hoping that it is going to fix a lot of problems with
using foreign libraries such as OpenGL from ghci. I could be wrong about
that though.

I'd like to understand more about what those problems are. As a data point, at Facebook we're using static linking (I compiled GHC with DYNAMIC_GHC_PROGRAMS=NO), we're loading upwards of 50 3rd-party C++ libraries and one gigantic shared library consisting of a ton of in-house C++ code, together with all our Haskell code into GHCi, and it works perfectly. The key to using the static linker is to not use it for C++ code - you want all your external C++ code in shared libraries and load those using the system linker.

Dynamic linking has been a huge headache in GHC, and it's not clear that it's an overall improvement compared with the static linker. Now that 7.8 is out of the way, it's time to have a conversation about whether we want to do dynamic linking again for 7.10, or revert to static linking. I think Austin is going to update https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/DynamicGhcPrograms, and then we'll see where we stand.

Cheers,
Simon

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 6:13 PM, Simon Peyton Jones