> The on-screen distraction of line comments, and the nuisance of writing them,
> is not
> trivial.

Well, I don't consider one-line comments to be distracting at all. To each his
own, I guess.,
though your opinion on this is more important than mine.

But I don't agree that writing one-line comments is a nuisance. Actually, it's
very simple in
Emacs:
M-j will start a new line of comment. Maintains indentation.
M-q will reformat a single paragraph of a comment to match the default line
length (known
as "fill-collumn" in Emacs). Use C-x f to set or add this to your Emacs file:

(setq-default fill-column 80)

Janek