I'd like to humbly second this request... and specifically, that I more often
use git in fear rather than confidence, especially when I'm working with ghc.
This is perhaps inevitable -- a complicated system requires complicated tools.
But, any help here is greatly appreciated.

As a very minor point:

On Jul 15, 2014, at 3:01 AM, Simon Peyton Jones <simo...@microsoft.com> wrote:
> 12.  git add/commit    to record patch as usual, but

That line confused me. I thought there was a new command `add/commit`! It
didn't take too long to unravel the meaning, but I'd like to request that we
avoid *any* abbreviations, especially in typewriter font.

Thanks to the git-wizards who help us git-gits!

Richard