Hi devs,

Over the weekend, I was pondering the Haskell course I will be teaching next
year and shuddered at having to teach Foldable at the same time as `length`. So
I implemented feature request #10963
(https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/10963), which allows for a way for a
user to request a specialization of a type. It all works wonderfully, but there
is a real user-facing design issue here around the default behavior of :type
and whether or not to add new :type-y like commands. I have outlined the
situation here: https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Design/GHCi/Type

I'd love some broad input on this issue. If you've got a stake in how this all
works, please skim that wiki page and comment on #10963.

Thanks!
Richard