Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <ghc-devs@haskell.org> writes:

> Ben

Hi Simon,

> We don't really test with a DEBUG-enabled compiler. And yet, those
> assertions are all there for a reason. In our CI infrastructure, I
> wonder if we might do a regression-test run on at least one
> architecture with DEBUG on? e.g.
> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/14904

We actually now do precisely this. Since a few weeks ago we have a
nightly `validate --slow` (which enables -DDEBUG in the stage 2
compiler) job that runs on the CircleCI infrastructure.
Thanks to Alp's work it even appears to pass. However, in light of
#14904 I wonder if it we are failing to catch an exit code since it
sounds like it should have been failing.

Cheers,

- Ben