> We're not using GitLab ticketing yet, but I understand we will. When you say
> "related merge requests", does that include *issues*? GitHub does this, so I
> imagine it does, but we should make sure. In other words, if we make an MR
> that references an issue, will the issue show this fact? What if the MR text
> doesn't reference an issue, but the commit message does? For example, many of
> my patches are targeted toward one issue, but fix several others on the way.
> The MR text will probably mention only the main issue, but the commit message
> will mention the others. Will the others automatically be cross-referenced?
> Or will I be forced to copy these auxiliary issues into the MR text for
> proper cross-referencing?

If you mention the issue number (#12345) in the MR it will show up as
a mention on the issue.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/issues/434

If the commit message mentions the issue number then it shows up as a mention.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/issues/434#note_119047

If a comment on another issue mentions an issue number then it shows
up as a mention.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/issues/434#note_117657

> I believe in GitHub, the cross-referencing happens at *mentions*. I think
> that means we would get it upon posting the MR and upon the use of an issue
> number in a comment. But does anything happen at a *merge*? That is, suppose
> the fix for #12345 gets posted and debated at some length. The #12345 issue
> will get linked to the MR. Then, all is ready and we click the "merge when
> green" button. Some hours later, the MR is merged. Does the issue get updated
> then?

When a MR is merged and the commit message mentions the issue number
then a mention will be added to the issue which links the issue to the
commit.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/commit/70166550e89e80e91912b0e7b9bb162073042dba

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/issues/434#note_167754

> By "ticket", do you mean issue or MR? I assume you mean MR, and I like this
> behavior. But I hope you don't mean issue. It's quite common to push a patch
> materially affecting an issue but not closing it, and I think the manual step
> to close the issue separately is worthwhile.

If you write "Closes #12345" in the MR description then when the MR is
merged it will close the issue.

https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/issues/closing_issues.html#via-merge-request

This, and not much more, is described here:
https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/issues/crosslinking_issues.html

Cheers,

Matt