> On Jan 29, 2020, at 03:32, Simon Peyton Jones <simo...@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> Suppose a thread happens to be evaluating a pure thunk for (factorial 200).
> […] This stack-freezing stuff is definitely implemented.

That’s fascinating! I had no idea, but your explanation makes sense (as do the
papers you linked). That is definitely promising, as it seems like many of the
tricky cases may already be accounted for? I’ll see if I can follow the Cmm
code well enough to hunt down how it’s implemented.

One other thing I have been thinking about: this is completely incompatible
with the state hack, isn’t it? That is not a showstopper, of course—I do not
intend to suggest that continuations be capturable in ordinary IO—but it does
mean I probably want a way to selectively opt out. (But I’ll worry about that
if I ever get that far.)

Alexis