My two cents:

I needed it today and now I am unsure what the
suitable replacement is.

If you need it (inside GHC) just re add it.

If you think it should be kept as part of GHC's API re add it and add a
comment stating such.

Iirc it was removed since no one used it, not because anything was wrong
with it design wise iirc.

As a general point, please can we stop with these annoying
refactorings which delete unused code

In general I think these kind of refactorings are needed and fine.
But it does feel like people became a bit overzealous in that regard
recently.

Cheers
Andreas