Hello,

> > So the question is whether or not specifying linkers and assemblers
> > belongs in these, and I'd be inclined to think not.  The
> > commentary at the beginning of Makefile.in tells the story.
> > (There's also this process model of asking yourself the question
> > as to why Tristan doesn't have the facility for doing so already
> > expressed).
> >

> The LD and AS spec to ghdl_gcc I hacked in should definitely be
> revisited. But it appeared to me that, since cross-compiling support
> was
> not in there, they were hardcoded in translate/ghdldrv/ghdldrv.adb to
> 'as' and 'gcc'. For the proper cross ghdl, it would make sense to use
> the machine prefixes for as/gcc.

Clearly, I have never thought about cross compilation for ghdl.

Initially, I thought there were no case for that, but in fact there are
a few ones, as you mentioned.

GCC handles cross compilation, so you have to modify Makefiles using
other front-end examples.  And yes, because ghdl doesn't use gcc to
assemble, and invoke it to link, you have to modify that.

Do not hesitate to post patches.

Regards,
Tristan.