> Because you don't use extra plug-ins, scripts and, especially, brushes.

So true... Mine takes quite a while... like 10 seconds...
I'm thinking 1 to 2 seconds would be good.

How about loading the UI first, and carry out the rest of the loading
showing a progress bar at the screen bottom? (Better still, don't show
So the 1-2 second start-up would not show any progress-bar on the splash
screen... making the user feel awesome! :)

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 4:29 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine <
alexandre.prokoud...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 12:33 AM, Paka wrote:
>
> > perhaps investing in an ssd drive for your operating system and gimp will
> > suffice.  Below is the time from requesting load to mouse clicking on the
> > kill button.
> >
> > 15:32 Crash: ~/Documents > time gimp
> >
> > (gimp:9740): GLib-WARNING **: goption.c:2168: ignoring no-arg,
> > optional-arg or filename flags (8) on option of type 0
> >
> > real    0m3.919s
> > user    0m1.668s
> > sys     0m0.158s
> > 15:32 Crash: ~/Documents >
> >
> > I don't see *any* problem in gimp's load time.
>
> Because you don't use extra plug-ins, scripts and, especially, brushes.
>
> Let me tell about brushes :) GIMP loads them *all* into memory when it
> starts. So if you have a bunch of bitmap brushes that weight ca. 1GB
> which isn't so uncommon when you do e.g. photoart, you have to wait
> for GIMP to finish loading that all *and* you have it using lots of
> RAM for no good reason, because GIMP doesn't load resources on demand
> in a smart way (the -d option is a non-smart way).
>
> Alexandre Prokoudine
> http://libregraphicsworld.org

*
Regards,