> can you give a statement what this is suppose to achieve.

*Maximize productivity*
  Almost forget that there is a menu-bar. Use the mouse/touchpad lesser.
*Intent driven rather than hierarchy driven navigation*
  Focus on 'what' rather than 'how'.
*Discover functionality*
  For new users
*Help transition*
  From proprietary software. "What is 'smth'  in GIMP?"

What key combination activates that?

Shift + ?

Also, do you have a public Git repo or something?

We do now - https://github.com/ssvz4/tito

why not extend that with more keywords, or even the
> documentation for searching (to find the right command,
> or to look up documentation).

Definitely planning to do that

GIMP is a tool for working fast.

True. We're thinking adaptive results. So a beginner might search for
"delete" or "ellipse", while an experienced user will not.
Results should (will) be ordered by frequency of usage. (Or a more
appropriate adapting technique)

Is it a plugin or is it hacked into gimp core?

 Hacked in...

Talking of improvements, we're thinking of regex, adaption, vocabulary,
auto-complete, hierarchy based search, etc.

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 10:30 PM, peter sikking <pe...@mmiworks.net> wrote:

> Srihari Sriraman wrote:
>
> > We now have it up and working.
> > Still looking to implement loads of features...
> > Do pool in suggestions!
> > http://youtu.be/hGAgG_XRhHc?hd=1
>
> being part of the GIMP UI design team, I have to ask:
>
> can you give a statement what this is suppose to achieve.
>
> I can see the value in having searchable all the tooltip text
> and have that mapped to obscure plugins, to find them.
> and why not extend that with more keywords, or even the
> documentation for searching (to find the right command,
> or to look up documentation).
>
> but doing a delete? the Delete key is a hell of a lot faster for that.
>
> doing a ellipse selection? click on the tool icon.
>
> all this typing, then scrolling, is a very slow way of doing that.
> and GIMP is a tool for working fast.
>
>  --ps
>
>      founder + principal interaction architect
>          man + machine interface works
>
>      http://blog.mmiworks.net: on interaction architecture

*
*