> But it still could -
> the only difference would be the state of the checkbox - without a
> separate menu item.

You mean bringing up the open dialog with 'as layers' checked with a
different shortcut?
It seems unorthodox, but maybe worth a try.

 So we'd have Create->From URI next to Create->From Webpage???

I don't seem to have the Create>From Webpage. Its a plug-in?
File->Create makes sense for Buttons and Logos, but not for URI, clipboard,
screenshot, scan etc.
Can these be united in one category for the menu?

But all I really care about is having
> something predictable, where I can look at the menu and guess what
> things do

I can relate to this. Perhaps you should use Tito ;)

--
*
*