On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 12:33 PM, peter sikking <pe...@mmiworks.net> wrote:

I think you are very selective there what conventions surround Import.
> simply importing a an excel sheet into a non-ms program (open office,
> appleā€™s numbers) comes with a host of fears and promises.

And GIMP unnecessarily continues this tradition.  If you open/import an
indexed image, GIMP goes into this weird "Indexed" mode that makes editing
all but impossible. This is very inconsistent with the asserted mental
model.

And while I prefer having Export, one workflow is broken rather severely by
this model: it is no longer possible to Import->Edit->Close->Export. The
flow Import->Edit->Close-Save is available, but this is a fast flow that
likely does not need to Save at all.

Chris