Hello Saul,

Am 05.09.2012 20:37, schrieb Saul Goode:
> This brings us to the "overlay" mode, which most graphics programs define as
> using the "screen" mode when the upper layer is bright (above middle value)
> and "multiply" mode when it is dark.

just a nit to pick: it is the bottom layer which determines whether to perform
screening or multiplying

> [..] My understanding is that GIMP implementation of "soft light" mode is
> similar to Borland's graphics library in their Delphi programming environment.
i presume you are referring to "Pegtopā€™s extensive survey of blend modes" [1].
The formula given there is exactly the GIMP implementation.

As you said, softlight can be regarded as a smoothened variant of overlay mode
which offers softer transitions.
Mathematically, this formula describes a linear cross-fade between multiply and
screen depending on the base layer value.

best regards,
yahvuu

[1] http://www.pegtop.net/delphi/articles/blendmodes/softlight.htm