We already have a plugin which ca do something similar in GIMP (and is
standing as a gimp plugin for quite a while ..).
Now this plugin seems to be unmaintained.
please check here : http://refocus-it.sourceforge.net/

I've just compiled refocus-it and I can say I have very good results
similar with examples on their website

the point is that refocus-it is quite slow and not easy to set - but
once you got the right values - the result looks magic

I feel that Vladimir put the accent on "easy to use" else the concept
/ procedure / result look similar.

2012/10/22 Michael Natterer <mi...@gimp.org>:
> On Mon, 2012-10-22 at 00:14 -0700, Luke Benes wrote:
>> Vladimir Yuzhikov has release his SmartDeblur program under the GPL at
>> https://github.com/Y-Vladimir/SmartDeblur
>> Yuzhikov worked on two common cases: blurring due to incorrect focus and
>> blurring due to movement. "Each of you knows very well," he points out, they
>> "are very difficult to repair." In fact, the examples used as samples by
>> Yuzhikov are impossible to fix using current commercial technology. You can
>> see these amazing results
>> here:http://gizmodo.com/5953601/incredible-csi-enhance-technology-fixes-unfocused-photos
>> If anyone has the interest to port this into the plugin system, it would
>> make a huge addition, giving GIMP something no other editor has.
>> -Luke
>
> That looks truly impressive, but it will have to become a GEGL op,
> not a GIMP plug-in to be included. A GEGL op is also much more
> useful generally.
>
> Is Vladimir interested in working on that?
>
> --mitch

Nemes Ioan Sorin