I think you'll probably need to talk to someone very familiar with GEGL
since I think you'll need to produce a new type of op (or else produce a
seperate op for each part of the decomposition, but this is a horrible
ineffeciency).  The way I was thinking of doing this would be to have a
GEGL op that could decompose a single input to 2 outputs; I believe this
plug-in would take the second of those outputs and repeat the process on
it, until the desired number of layers is available - but I'm not 100%
positive on it and it has been awhile since I looked at the code.

Sorry I can't be of more help

Seth