2013/2/19 Richard Gitschlag <strata_ran...@hotmail.com>

>  So the question that remains is - if you switch between images and do
> another select with the same tool, why does GIMP need to Undo the first one
> at all?  It's got to be a bug.

No doubt it is a bug.

According to the documentation:
"When an image is stored as an XCF file, the file encodes nearly everything
there is to know about the image: the pixel data for each of the layers,
the current selection, additional channels if there are any, paths if there
are any, and guides. The most important thing that is *not* saved in an XCF
file is the undo history."

The XCF format stores selections, so I think it's pretty clear that every
file should have its own selections and switching between open images
shouldn't destroy them.

Gez