Layer deletes are a little funky: they don't get deleted when they are
removed from the layer list, since they get pushed on the undo stack.
They get deleted when the undo information is freed, ie when it
expires or when it is on the redo stack and an new action is pushed on
the undo stack, thus blowing the redo stack.

Messing with reference counts might be an attempt to achieve this; I
don't know.  It's worth checking, if only to discount it.

I also think such messing is really ugly, and as we're discovering,
totally unmaintainable.

Fixing a leak of this magnitude is definitely cause for another stable
release, I think.  It goes without saying that it should be widely and
thoroughly tested, possibly by a 1.2.2alpha pre-release snapshot or
something.

Austin