Raphael Quinet wrote:
> The basic idea is that each file plug-in that supports metadata can
> convert the EXIF data (or other meta-data) to/from GIMP parasites.
[snip]
> Note that it is important
> that each individual item in the EXIF data is converted to a
separate
> GIMP parasite instead of importing the whole EXIF data in one big
> chunk because some parts of the EXIF data must be modified when the
> image is re-saved (also, some file formats do not support all fields
> so it is easier to work with them if they are saved in separare
> parasites).

I'm not sure I agree with you here... I thought the matter was closed
and
that we were in agreement last December, but as I understand it there
is no
reason to have more than one parasite for exif data (or if you prefer
a more
generic metadata parasite which encompasses a superset of exif).

My understanding, from what Sven and Mitch told me back then, was that
a part of a parasite could quite easily be modified independant of the
rest.
So your concern about bits being modifiable does not imply (as you
suggest)
different parasites for different bits of data. At least that's how I
understand
it. I'm not sure whether the discussion was on- or off-list (I get
mixed up
sometimes), but that's what I took away from it.

>  > I just don't know how to handle the dependency on libexif(-gtk).
You
>  > know, libexif itself is quite small and could be included in gimp
>  > (although I'd keep it separately), but libexif-gtk is getting
bigger and
>  > bigger as more widgets are added. Therefore my question: Is it ok
>  > introduce a (conditional --enable-exif) dependency on
libexif(-gtk) for
>  > gimp?
>
> Well, I don't know what is the best thing to do.  libexif should
> probably be integrated directly into the JPEG plug-in (and maybe
> adapted for the TIFF and PNG plug-ins) but I assume that large parts
> of it would have to be rewritten in order to use GIMP parasites as
the
> storage format for all data.

I agree here - just replace the bits that parse the jpeg header
currently
with the appropriate bits that parse the exif info and put it in a
usable
format/structure. There's no need to add a dependency on libexif, just
add the code either to the existing jpeg.c, or in another file called
something imaginative like exif.[ch], and link them together when
making
the jpeg plug-in.

I would keep the gtk stuff (the interface) separate from the jpeg
plug-in
completely. As Raphael suggests, I would use it possibly as a basis
for a
generic parasite editor, or specifically as an image metadata editor.

> -Raphael

Cheers,
Dave.