Nick Lamb wrote:
> One thing I can't seem to find out (maybe I'm looking in the wrong
place)
> is whether EXIF data is supposed to follow derived works or not.
Some
> contributors to this thread seemed to feel that it was important
that
> a Gimp image must always preserve the EXIF data, but this would only
> make sense is EXIF is indeed a historical record of the source, and
not
> live metadata. Can someone clear that up (preferably with a
reference
> to an EXIF standards document or something) ?

Presumably (and this is just me - I have nothing to support this) that
depends on the data. For example, copyright would have to follow the
normal rules of derived works (whatever they may be), as would author,
but something like GPS (which relates directly to where the image was
originally captured) could be copied through unchanged. Some data
logically stays read-only, and some data should be modifiable (one
example of each would, presumably, be flash energy and image history
respectively).

Cheers,
Dave.