[EMAIL PROTECTED] (2003-03-21 at 0124.53 +0100):
> Related to this, I would love to have a function that would enable me to
> create a layer mask from alpha channel or apply it to the existing mask.

Is not that what I did in script-fu long time ago using 1.2? The only
problem I had is that script-fu was unable to add the entry to the L&C
menu, but otherwise, it worked fine. The reason was that somebody
wanted to edit the "alpha" cos a game used it as extra texture channel
(reflections, iirc), and the best was to move the alpha to mask, work
there, and then make it "alpha" again when saving as PNG.

GSR