Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> David Neary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > The new MMX composite code in the 1.3 tree doesn't build for me -
> > am I the only one? My processor is a 350MHz K6-2 with mmx
> > support, and the error says that there are a bunch (6, I think)
> > of unknown registers in the asm (%mm0, %mm1, ...).
>
> The configure check was supposed to check that your compiler/assembler
> supports the MMX assembly command set. Can you please check the values
> of USE_MMX and USE_SSE in config.h. There might be a problem with the
> configure check or the new code is missing an #ifdef.

Weird.

The new code is missing a #ifdef somewhere, I think - perhaps
composite-mmx.c shouldn't be build at all if USE_MMX isn't
defined... but that's another issue.

My processor does support mmx. It passes the configure test - when
I run the configure test manually (that is, load register %mm0 in
a .S file), it works fine. However, the same thing in an asm() in
a C file seems to not compile. Really weird...

By the way, I apologise for the tone of the last mail - it was
late (early), I was tired, and I shouldn't have said the bugzilla
thing.

That said, some day soon, the GIMP developers are going to have
to get together for a brainstorning session about how we can
communicate better with the user base, and vice versa. With IRC,
Bugzilla, 2 mailing lists, usenet, the [EMAIL PROTECTED] mail address, the
web page and the GUG (wouldn't it be nice to tie in more tightly
with those guys?), there is an awful lot of information flying
about, but none of it is getting to everybody.

Sven's talked about the dead documentation project, lots of
usability issues have cropped up recently on the mailing list,
and we seem to have become quite insular in our thinking. I would
like us to sit down and talk about how we can make it easier for
people to find out what's happenning with the GIMP, and easier
for them to let us know what they thing should be happening.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
       David Neary,