Am Don, 2003-07-24 um 11.01 schrieb Sven Neumann:

> Even gimp-1.2 can link to anchors already. There is no need for
> toplevel HTML files for each and every help topic that should be
> reachable by pressing F1. In theory, the whole help could be in a
> single file. That would of course not be useful but any granularity
> should be doable using anchors.

This is possible, but using anchors in a file means that last time I
looked you cannot render a notice that the help is not available because
the help browser would load the file and then jump to the beginning of
the document when the anchor doesn't exist.

Also it's not good for the user experience when you press F1 on some
tool and get a 50 pages document explaining all tools at once, even when
the display starts at the right position within the 50 pages. Not to
mention that one will need gobs of memory to render such documents
because of all the images we already have or intend to have.

But yes, giving up granularity to ease maintainance is possible but more
like a quick hack than a real solution. I really detest hacks when not
doing them for myself because it makes one look rather foolish.

--
Servus,
       Daniel