hiya,
On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 03:42:24PM +0100, Simon Budig wrote:
> Ooops, that should have been gone to the ML as well...
>
> Sven Neumann ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > Simon Budig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > Include a GUILE in the Gimp sourcecode, make sure that it doesn't
> > > conflict with other GUILEs on the target system and use it as the GIMPs
> > > default language. Perfectly fine with me as long as I have a language
> > > that is guaranteed to be available for 99% of the GIMP installations.
> >
> > I don't think we should do that simply because I don't see what is so
> > important about having a self-contained scripting language. I'd rather
> > like to see three or four well-maintained and working scripting
> > languages that can be installed separately.
>
> It is pretty easy to see why a default scripting language is important,
> and I guess it is your grumpiness against script-fu that prevents you
> from seeing it.
>
> When somebody on IRC has a problem that is cumbersome in the UI, but can
> be solved with three or four PDB calls (e.g. "Flip Layer menu entry")
> I'd hate to tell him that he has to install a monster like Perl/Python
> or whatever, to be able to use my quickly hacked three line solution.
> And even if he has Perl installed, I could not provide a script for him,
> because I only know about Python and Script-Fu. I don't want to be a
> master in all bindings available for gimp, just to be able to provide
> such a thing. I want to focus on one or two languages.
>
> This has happened in the past and Script Fu was a nice solution for
> stuff like that. And that is the reason why it is important to have a
> simple language available always.

okay, i dont really like script-fu.  i cant read it and it has this way
of not telling gimp when it has made an image.

yet, even if there is one user of gimp on windows, these users are used
to one button making of images and some of the functions that the
scripts give to gimp.  i think there would be a lot more griping and
tutorial pointing if you do anything to make it so it is difficult to
install the script thing.

about guile, do we even know those people?

carol