On Mar 14, 2004, at 12:54 pm, Sven Neumann wrote:

Such an image file is kept seperate from the rest of the system. So
there's no chance that whatever library you add there could collide
with other software on the system. Assumed that I understood this
correctly, but that's what I have been told by MacOS X developers...

Not quite correct. There're concepts that permit having several versions of some resource around without conflicting called a framework, another would be an application bundle. Depending on what exactly one wants to achieve one is more suitable than another. If you want to provide resources for several applications you can only use frameworks which are a pain in the butt to manage, especially without using XCode. Application bundles are easier to create and very useful, but they'll only work in a selfcontained fashion.

So if one wants to create a selfcontained GIMP package, an application
bundle would be more than nice. However this package needs to contain
all possible plugins and other stuff, later extension is not trivially
possible.

Servus,
      Daniel