On Sun, 21 Mar 2004, Branko Collin wrote:

> Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 14:22:08 +0100
> From: Branko Collin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Gimp Developer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Press pack
>
> On 21 Mar 2004, at 19:17, Jakub Steiner wrote:
>
> > I made a couple of demos of the new GIMP 2 functionality. I believe it
> > works a lot better than just a list of new functionality. They are
> > divx avis and it's approx 80MB. Feel free to mirror it on the gimp.org
> > website and use it for the 2.0 release extravaganza.
> >
> > http://jimmac.musichall.cz/gimp2demos.php
>
> I have tried to play these demos using Windows Media Player
> (Microsoft) version 2, 7 and 9, and in all instances it crashed my
> mediaplayer. The error messages says something about a divx module;
> probably just the decoder I am using.
>
> Still, it would perhaps be handy to test this on other Windows
> installations if this URL is going to be sent to any other than
> GNU/Linux using journalists.

If the video needs to be recoded may I humbly recommend using Xvid.
http://www.xvid.org (although perhaps you are already using it merely
referring to it as DivX for convenience)

It is almost at 1.0, in the prerelease/release candidate stages at the
moment.  It is a proper open source MPEG 4 implementation.

- Alan H