> "Austin Donnelly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > > - Add an easy way to change the image's unit. It's quite well hidden
> > >   in the Image Scale dialog right now. With the changes proposed
> > >   above, changing the image unit could become a more frequent task, so
> > >   it should be easily accessible.
> >
> > I'd suggest taking a double-click in the rulers should bring up a
> "change
> > units" dialog box.  It should allow people to change to pixels, since
> the
> > most immediately visible effect of changing the image's units is to the
> > rulers.
>
> That's not very intuitive IMHO. If we display the unit in the
> statusbar, then it would probably be best to allow it to be changed
> where it is displayed (and, of course, in the menu as well). I see
> that the rulers do also display the unit in one way or another.
> However a double-click on the rulers is something that only few users
> will ever try. I also guess that only few users ever find out that you
> can create guides by dragging them from the rulers.

I like the idea of a pop-up in the statusbar - and I expect that's what most
users will use to change the units.  But if a user does double-click a
ruler, how should Gimp interpret that?

Perhaps it should popup a dialog saying:

  Ruler configuration
  -------------------
   Show rulers: [X]
                  _________
   Image units:  |- Inches |
                  ---------

   Tip: you can create a guide
     by dragging from a ruler
     into the image

I know all this functionality is available elsewhere, but it makes Gimp
friendlier.

Austin