Gimp 2.0.2 and elusive detachable "tear able menus"

Has anyone else experiences this? I can't get it to work. Say I bring the popup menu from the image, "Layers", and press the dotted line. The menu detaches, but the moment the mouse leaves it it disappears. It re-shows when I switch to another desktop, but disappears the moment i try to place the mouse on it.

I have no idea if this is a gtk problem, kde, or gimp??

$gimp --version
GIMP version 2.0.2

$pkg-config --modversion gtk+-2.0
2.4.0

KDE 3.0.3-8 (stock from RH 8)

$uname -a :
Linux yoda 2.4.20-30.8.legacy #1 Fri Feb 20 18:58:10 PST 2004 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

Thanks, Joseph