On Thursday 15 July 2004 15:30, David Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > On Wednesday 14 July 2004 05:49, Nathan Carl Summers wrote:
> > > Heh, my vote is for Valgrind.  :)
> >
> > Well, valgrind is a very nice and useful tool. (I know becuase I'm also
> > using it extensively) However, I think that perhaps GNU Arch deserves to
> > win because:
>
> And what about the GIMP and its 10 years of being a core Free
> Software application? We were the first poster-boy application
> that said that Linux could be a desktop OS, the project which
> spawned GTK+ and arguably GNOME, and are still the best Free
> image manipulation program around, despite being 4 years behind
> the 2000 schedule for some major features. I think we deserve a
> good decent award.

I did not say GIMP does not deserves awards. It certainly does. I'm not trying
to compare GIMP to arch or valgrind because it's like comparing hammers to
toaster ovens - it's meaningless because they do different things.

The reason I think Arch should win the award instead of the GIMP is because of
the financial difficulties its main developer is facing. I'm not aware of a
similar financial difficulty within the GIMP core developers. (but would like
to be shown otherwise).

And I think that while we can be motivated by winning or being nominated for
winning awards, we shouldn't work hard just in order to win awards. We work
hard to create good software, and to please the users and peer developers.
Some of the greatest movies did not win the Oscar, and it did not matter in
the long run, because people still remember them and not many of the films
that did.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish