Perhaps this is nitpicking, but would like your comments.

(gimp 2.0.3)

After decomposing an image to HSV (in layers mode), Filters/Colors/Compose brings up the following dialog:

  (*) RGB       Red - image-HSV.jpg-3/value-8
              Green - image-HSV.jpg-3/value-8
               Blue - image-HSV.jpg-3/value-8

i.e. assumes RGB, and gives all channels the same layer.

1. If it possible to infer somehow that what I want (by default) is HSV, i.e the reverse? Even cluing on the layer names would work for the case where I make some changes in one layer and want to convert back.

2. Even assuming I have to check HSV manually, why not give the first 3 layers (when they exist) as the default?
(for that to work, the order of the dialog has to match the order of created layers. right now it is the reverse)

Thanks, Joseph