On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 12:12:46PM -0700, miriam clinton (iriXx) wrote:
> thanks Sven and Carol for your answers... I'll get back to you with more
> details about the GUI, as i'm working on an art project at the moment,
> but to answer some immediate queries:
>
> - I'm using Photoshop 7.0 - strangely enough, I find it, and all the
> other tools I use, highly intuitive - the essence of a tool that a
> graphic designer can use is its intuitiveness, rather than usability.

That's you. There are others who find photoshop highly unintuitive, and
GIMP much easier to use.

Part of the problem is that many designers started out using photoshop,
so the "intuitiveness" is not necessarily inherent in the application,
but a mental byproduct of cultivating your nascent workflow using a
specific app. This doesn't really validate photoshop's interface as
"good", but rather "what photoshop trained designers are used to".

Merely copying photoshop blindly is a bad idea, since photoshop's
interface has got its own weird quirks. Nevermind the interface
differences between photoshop on Mac and on Windows.

So things really should be taken on a case by case basis. In some cases,
photoshop may be better at some things, but in others, completely crack
filled.

> Perhaps in this case we should use graphic designers as testers,
> alongside bug-testers?

Do not discount the graphic designers who actually prefer gimp's
interface to photoshop's.

-Yosh