Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:23:49 +0100
   From: Tino Schwarze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

   Hi,

   On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 01:12:33PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

   > > [1] Working ain't gonna be fun - I once had an A1 poster at 300 dpi on
   > > an 6 GB machine and GIMP's swap grow as large as another 6 GB since GIMP
   > > didn't seem to be able to use more than 2 or 3 GB of memory altogether.
   > > (Is there a known limitation regarding maximum usable memory?)
   >
   > The operating system imposes a limit on the maximum amount of memory
   > that can be allocated by a process. IIRC the limit is 3GB on Linux.

   Ah, then it was probably this limit.

32-bit Linux, that is.  Get an Opteron/Athlon 64 or other 64-bit
processor and you don't have this kind of a limit (it's much, much
higther).

   > Of course there's also a physical limit and you would need a 64bit CPU
   > in order to use more than 4GB.

   There's PAE36 or High memory[1]. You only need a kernel compiled with 4GB
   or 64GB support (the machine was Xeon with 6 GB).

That has nothing to do with process size limit.

--Eric Crampton